Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, August 18, 2008

Resin Troubleshooting Tips - Preventing "Wet Out"


People often contact me for tips on the resin making process. In this resin making series, I hope to touch on some of the common problems that occur with the process and offer solutions on how to correct them. Much of what I will share with you is based on my own trial and error in making my own projects.

One of the most common issues which occurs is something called "wet out." "Wet out" occurs when the resin makes contact with images. It can make your image look like it got wet, and in severe cases, it can make your whole image turn transparent. The photo to the right shows "wet out" where the angel's wings meet her dress. As you can see, it ruins the whole design.

The chemicals in resin break down delicate items such as paper. In order to preserve your images, you have to protect them by coating them with sealant before you place them in resin. Coating both the back and the front of the design with white glue is usually a popular method given in books to prevent "wet out" from occurring. I was not satisfied with this method. I experimented with several different brands of white glue to seal my images and still encountered problems. The first problem was that "wet out" still occurred; the second was that I had applied the glue too thickly to the image, which resulted in it appearing as though a milky substance was floating over it.

Another method that was recommended in a book I read is to cover both sides of the image with clear packing tape. Trust me when I tell you that this suggestion definitely does not work, as the resin still seeps into the tape and damages the image at hand.

My favorite method to prevent "wet out" is to use glossy (not matte) gel medium. I have used both Golden's and Liquitex gel medium brands and they work equally well for this process.

Here's the step-by-step process I use to protect my images:





STEP ONE: Wit
h sharp scissors, cut out the images you will be embedding in resin.






STEP TWO: Tear off a sheet of wax paper.
Lay it on a flat working surface. Place your
images face down on top of the wax paper. Brush a thin coat of glossy gel medium on the back of each image. Let dry.






STEP THREE: Turn
over the images so they face right side up. Brush a thin coat of the gel medium on the image. Let dry. Note: The gel will look milky white when it is wet, but it will dry clear.


STEP FOUR: Carefully peel the images off of the wax paper. You will have dried medium that extends past the image. With scissors, carefully trim off the excess medium but do not trim the image itself. If you accidentally cut into the image, you will need to reapply gel medium to the cut area. The cut area is susceptible to "wet out" damage from the resin. (Trust me on this one, I learned this the hard way.)

And there you have it. Please be sure to check back for additional resin making tips and projects (among other cool crafty things). Happy creating! :)


11 comments:

Paper Cat Designs said...

Hi Wanda! Thank you for the resin tutorial. I can already think of one way I would like to use resin.

Looking over your blog it sounds like we have some of the same goals as far as what we want our blogs to do for us and our readers. The results of your survey were interesting and they tell me I'm on the right track with what I'm thinking. Keep up the good work here! I'll check back again soon!

Cheers! =D
~Kellie

frstyfrolk/Cyndi said...

I love your passing on this tip. I want to get my hands in this so bad. I just looked and I thought I had this product. Now, I am off to look for my Michaels' ad for 40% off. Smiles, cyndi

Dottie Dracos said...

Hi, Wanda. Thanks for the resin tips. I'm new to resin casting and have had problems with "wet-outs." Your tips are sure to help me out. It's a lot harder than it looked, casting with resin, that is. Thanks again, Dottie

Dottie Dracos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peptogirl said...

Thank you! It's SO helpful to have these tips BEFORE you start a project. You saved me from having to learn the hard way!!!

PolymerClayTutor said...

Thank you for the info! I have been wanting to combine polymer clay with resin for awhile now. So have been reading as much as I can.

That is good to know about the Wet Out. I have also heard that resin will cause some inks on papers to bleed. This method sounds like it will work for that too! ~Cindy Lietz

Sandy Michelle said...

Thanks for the great tips Wanda!!! You are the Queen of resin:)

Sandy xox

Tootie said...

Thanks for sharing your trial and error knowledge! It sure cuts down on frustration when you can learn from others experiments.

Shay Aaron said...

Great post wanda! thank you! I wonder what do you think of using laminated images. Is it okay?
Keep up the good work!

tamdoll said...

Thanks for the info about this! I just had to creatively cover up a bunch of wet-out disasters. The results are certainly unique, but I'll be doing this to avoid the problem in the future.

Skaldi said...

I thought I would mention about using glue two chemical properties of white fish glue need to be considered. After it dries you have to expose it to UV light (direct sunlight) an hour should be good, and then you flash bake it, and only then is white glue actually truly acid resistant.