Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, January 12, 2009

Quick Tip - Polishing Sanded Edges of Resin

One frustration often shared with me by people who make resin jewelry is that once they sand off the rough edges of their pieces, they are left with dull, matte edges.

I have a quick tip I'd like to share with you that I use on all of my resin pieces after I sand them. I submerge the resin piece in water to remove the dust caused by sanding, and then I dry this off with a soft lint-free towel. I place a dot of Diamond Glaze on my index finger and lightly apply it to the sanded edges. Once the Diamond Glaze has dried, you can't tell any difference on where the resin ends and where the Glaze begins.

I would not, however, recommend using Diamond Glaze over the entire resin piece, as it is not as indestructable as resin is. It easily picks up scratches, so the overall beauty of your resin piece may not withstand years of wear and tear. Take it from me - stick with glazing just the edges and you'll come out alright in the long run.

4 comments:

AwtemNymf said...

You are awesome to offer your expeience and expertise on these subjects. I love it. Thank you!
Speaking of diamond glaze... have you tried to do bottlecap magnets before?
I tried using a tut on line for placing an image inside a bottlecap and then using diamond glaze to fill it to the top. I don't know what went wrong, but it looked kinda dull. Any tips on how to make the image STAY as bright and vivid as it's original picture? I may have overlooked a step. But what I did was I used a 1 inch circle punch cut out of the image I wanted to use and placed that inside the bottle cap. I glued the image to the bottom of the bottle cap. Waited for about 15 minutes and then filled it up with diamond glaze. Let that dry for 48 hours. Upon reviewing it- the image looked washed out. Do you recommend modge podge (satin) or what?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
Hugs!

Wanda AKA "Craftymule" said...

I have a couple of suggestions I'd like to offer you to help your bottle cap images sparkle. I also use a circle punch when making my bottle caps--it so much easier! When doing this, I also punch a circle out of a plain white piece of paper and place it under the picture. The image tends to pick up color from the bottom of the bottle cap, especially if the paper used for the image is thin. I have had great luck in making the image "pop" this way.

Sometimes, the ink in the images will bleed or fade. I don't suggest Modge Podge as a sealant in this situation. Whenever I have used that product, I have found that it lifted the color from my images and they eventually faded out. I would suggest applying Diamond Glaze to your bottle caps in thin layers. This seems to work better than applying it all at one time. Good luck! :)

AwtemNymf said...

ahhhh- Thank you Wanda! I will try card stock. More sturdy. And I will give the layering a shot and come back and let you know how it works! You rock girl!
Thank you so much!
Don't go far... please... I may have more questions *lol*
~A~

shannon said...

I love your art and suggestions. I'm just starting out withthis resin obsession and looking all-over the net for ideas. Have you tried ICE resin? also, wondering where to get the resin release spray and diamond glaze. they sound like essential products to have at all times and I wan to start with wverythinh at hand.Thanks a ton and keep on creating!
shannon g.