Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Using Unconventional Items for Resin Molds


If you search any website or craft store which sells resin molds, you are bound to see the same ones at each shop. I like a little variety in my jewelry making projects, and I don't want my designs to look like everyone else's. For that reason, I often make my resin molds from unconventional items.

One of the items I love to use for resin molds is the pre-molded plastic packaging you often see on a myriad of items in regular stores. These are terrific because you can find all sorts of sizes and shapes, many of which are perfect for resin projects. Because the packaging was not originally designed for resin projects, please keep in mind that you can only use each mold one time. Be sure to plan accordingly if you need several pieces for a project.



Supplies:

Plastic packaging (For the project shown here, I used packaging from mini Christmas ornaments.)
Mold release spray
Resin mixed according to manufacturer's instructions
Scissors

Directions:

If your plastic comes in several sections, cut out one section to be used for your project. Be sure to leave a rim around the outer edge of the packaging so you can easily lift the item.

Using a soft, lint free towel, wipe out the inside of the mold.

Lightly spray mold release into the mold and let dry. After this dries, if you notice small spots left by the spray, wipe these off with your towel. If you don't do this, these will transfer to your design and you won't be able to remove them later.

Pour resin into the packaging and add prepared embeds or photos as desired. To remove air bubbles in the resin, circulate a heat gun over the top of the resin. You will see the bubbles pop as they are zapped with the gun. Use caution in doing this, though. If you overheat the resin, it can cause problems in the setting of the resin and it also can melt your mold. Let the resin cure.

Once the resin has cured, use scissors to snip away at the outer edges of the mold. Use your hands to tear away what can't be cut with scissors.

And there you have it! Your completed unique resin project made from your own mold! Enjoy!

Pin It

11 comments:

Ilaria said...

Hello, I'm Ilaria.
I saw you through Flickr ... I think that your work is fantastic.
I do not speak English and the use of a translator: Forgive the mistakes!

My sister, on Christmas, I gave the resin to the jewels and I am really happy to try very soon!

I have a blog, and I put your link in the blogroll.

See you soon ... ciao!
Ilaria

Elaine said...

Thank you for sharing that. I've often wondered how it was done.

AwtemNymf said...

Hi Wanda-
This is fantastic! I've been waiting for some instructions for this and this seems simple to follow. Thank you so much for posting this tutorial.
How long (normally) does it take to "cure"? And what do you use to attach the finding if you want to make a pendant? e6000 epoxy?
Have a great weekend!
~A~

Wanda AKA "Craftymule" said...

I usually use E6000 to attach my pendant findings. It's tough and withstands all sorts of weather.

Curing time will depend on how humid it is where you live. I live in Northwest Arkansas and we get quite a bit of rain here. Because of this, I usually allow my pieces to cure 48-72 hours. After this amount of time, they will withstand fingerprints and the like.

AwtemNymf said...

And where do you find pendant findings?
My local JoAnns and Michael's don't have any. I've looked for findings so I can attach them to my scrabble tiles. Any suggestions and thanks for the cure time guides! I'm in Cali. You rock!

Wanda AKA "Craftymule" said...

I usually buy my jewelry findings in bulk from Rings and Things and also Fire Mountain Gems and Beads.

For the Scrabble tiles and mini dominoes, my favorite findings are the glueable drop pads sold by Rings and Things. Here is the link:
http://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=1243

Anne said...

Hi, Wanda! What a great tutorial! I also like the tip in the comments about using E6000 epoxy to attach the findings.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

tastyfake said...

I use those plastic novelty chocolate moulds, they come in the craziest shapes and work perfectly!

Sugar and Spice Art Confections said...

Thank you for posting this great information! I just received casting resin materials for Christmas and haven't used them yet. This will be helpful!
Rebecca

Rebecca hartswick said...

Hello, I was very happy to find your tutorial! I do have a question. I'm trying to make an oversized fake jewel for a treasure troll costume and I have a glass that would make a perfect mold and I don't mind breaking it to get the set resin out, would it separate from the glass if I used to spray? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, I have never used resin before so I'm not familiar with how it behaves. Thanks!
Becca

Wanda Eash AKA "Craftymule" said...

Hi, Becca:

I'd be really hesitant to use resin in glass and expect the resin to come out with breaking the glass. I'd suggest making a mold of your glass piece, first, then using the mold to cast your resin piece.

Good luck!