Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

An Easier Way to Make Exact Images for Bezels (for Resin and Other Jewelry Projects)






As I continue to work on remodeling my craft room, I still have orders I need to fill, in addition to getting my EBay and Etsy shops stocked up with items in anticipation for the Christmas rush.  I am in the process of making 200 new pendants, each of which requires an image.  In an effort to save time, I try to work smarter, not harder.  In order to do this, I use an assembly-line process when I make several of one type of item in order to make the best use of my time.  This includes cutting out the image to be used in the jewelry.  This part of the jewelry making process can be quite time-consuming and tedious, so I've developed a way to streamline this into a faster process.  Thankfully, this method is also more precise.

If you work with resin and/or make jewelry featuring images, you probably trace the bezel template onto the image, then cut around it.  Well - if you follow my process - you can put your pencil and bezel template away.  You won't need it.  This is the process I developed - and it works like a charm.

Tutorial:

1) Take the image you want to use and cut it into a manageable size.  Place the image on top of the bezel you wish to use.  While keeping a light grip on the paper and bezel, hold both up to the light.  You will be able to see the bezel outline behind the image.  Move the bezel into the desired position behind the image.





2) This is what the back will look like:




3) With one hand, hold the bezel onto the desired position of the paper.  Using your other hand, press the paper around outer edge of the bezel.  (Think of this as tracing with your fingers.)  You want to make sure the bezel shape is embedded into the paper.   When you are done, it will look like this - a perfect outline:



4)  Using scissors, cut right on the embedded line, and you will have a perfect copy of your bezel.  (Hint: If you have several of these to make, do all of your embedding at one time, then all of your cutting at one time.  It really helps to make the process faster.)



5) Apply image to bezel or background as desired.  Here are some of the resin designs I made using this process.  They are in the curing stage....


Until next time, happy creating!  :)


1 comment:

Holiday Sparkle - Cyndi LaChance said...

Wow, these are so pretty! You sound like you have this process down to a science.
Cyndi