1-Wanda-craftymule-navbar-message

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Soda Bottle Mixed Media Artwork - A Cool Earth Day Project





Being a lifelong crafter, it amazes me how recycled projects I worked on years ago have all of a sudden taken on a life of their own because someone else "discovers" the potential of recycling the same materials used in the project.  This is a perfect example of one of those projects.  I've been experimenting with soda bottle mixed media and jewelry art for the last several years, even submitting the projects to a well-known publisher for publication in their magazine.  (They were all rejected.)   :(

But wouldn't you know, all of a sudden, a very well-known crafter comes out with her new book on water bottle jewelry and this form of art takes off like there is no tomorrow.  The first time I saw this crafter's project on the web, I though, "My gosh - really?  I've been making these for YEARS!"  Great minds think alike, right?

Anyway, now that recycled plastic bottle jewelry is the latest rage, I don't want to bore you with the details.  You can now search the web and find many variations of this form of art.  However, what you won't see (yet) is how artists can incorporate this into their mixed media artwork.  That is what I want to share with you today.

A couple of years ago, I made this duo of Poppy flower portraits using soda bottles that I cut up, "painted" with Sharpie markers and shrank with a heat gun.   I then adhered them to two 5 x 7 pre-painted canvas' with strong white glue (I use Crafter's Ultimate - my gosh - I LOVE that stuff.)  OK, it may not be a Monet painting, but it's still a pretty cool concept, don't you think?

So - while everyone else is going crazy with plastic water or soda bottle jewelry - you can be a little different and make "art" with this awesome art medium.  Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment