1-Wanda-craftymule-navbar-message

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Weekend Projects - Sandra Evertson's Relics & Artifacts

This past weekend, I worked on a myriad of projects - many of them "UFO's" (Unfinished Objects.)  You name it, I have a gazillion projects in various stages of completion all over my craft room.   I decided to use my free time this past weekend to work on some of these, in addition to custom orders and the like.

Some of the projects I have been dying to work on for quite sometime are items from Sandra Evertson's Relics & Artifacts line.  I fell in love with several of the resin pieces in her line when they were first released a couple of years ago and have been stocking up on the collection ever since.  I literally have a huge storage box full of them - I kid you not.  Between attending college, working full time, traveling to Europe, spending quality time with my young grandsons and being preoccupied with my brother's terminal cancer, life literally got in the way the past couple of years and I did not get to spend as much time doing one of the things I love the most - creating.

I realize I am behind in the art world as far as designing with this fabulous collection. Several of my artist friends have inspired me with their interpretations of designing the Relics & Artifacts into gorgeous jewelry pieces, accessories and home decor.   I finally jumped on the bandwagon this past weekend and made a few pieces of my own.  I am pretty pleased with how they turned out.

This set of Sacred Hearts will be made into necklaces.  I was going to decorate the hearts with rhinestones, velvet and other embellishments, but I was so happy with the way the colors turned out, I think I will leave them alone for now.  (Why mess up a good thing, right?  Sometimes, less is more.)

Sacred Hearts

Sacred Heart - Turquoise and Red

Sacred Heart - Aqua and Red



I painted the hearts with a base of brown paint and allowed them dry. I then coated the hearts with crackle medium and painted them in bright, cheery colors.  Once the crackle effect kicked in, the brown color of the base paint showed through. I really love this effect.  If I didn't know any better - I would swear the hearts were made of ceramic.  They are stunning in person.

I also experimented with making little face blanks (also from the Relics & Artifacts line) into Frida Kahlo jewelry components.  I used Apoxie Sculpt to mold Frida's hair.  Once the Apoxie Sculpt dried, I painted the components and glued tiny little roses to her hair.  These will be made into earrings. Here's a brief look at the creative process in making these components:

Sculpt hair with Apoxie Sculpt

Cover the back of the face with Apoxie Sculpt; add finding at top of head.

Wa-la! Frida Kahlo earring components!

These are just a few of the projects I worked on over the weekend.  Stay tuned - I have several more to share with you in the coming days.  See you soon!

P.S.  If you want some awesome inspiration from other artists utilizing the Relics & Artifacts collection, you might want to check out the Relics & Artifacts Tribe group on Facebook.






No comments:

Post a Comment